Thursday, January 21, 2016

Investigating Genres: The Quick Reference Guide


  • The point of a quick reference guide is to supply the reader with information. However the information must be conveyed in a quick, easily accessible, and condensed manner. The purpose of the guide is to help give the reader the main gist of a wide variety of contemporary topics.
    Larsson, John "Flipboard" 07-21-10 via Flickr
     Attribution 2.0 Generic
  • This genre is mainly found online. Major newspapers use this genre as a means of relaying headline news in a quick format. I find that the information that is found online now-a-days strays away from long articles and leans more towards quick reference guides. 
  • The target audience for quick reference guides range from young to older adults. As schools become more and more technologically advanced students are looking towards the Internet for information, and quick reference guides prove to be helpful in obtaining a general knowledge on certain topics. As for older adults quick reference guides can be helpful in keeping up with the times.
  • This genre is unique in the sense that it is not like an article which just spews out information, but rather it provides links to further information, as well as graphs or other visuals to help the reader understand the topic at hand. 
                                             
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic
  • The Quick Reference Guide: a tool writers use in order to quickly yet efficiently convey information on a variety of topics that range from headline news to pop culture. 

Reflection

After reading Jianna and Nicki's blog posts I feel better about the tasks at hand. I investigated the same genre as Nicki so it was interesting to see how she wrote about quick reference guides. I realized that this type of excise is more creative and I shouldn't be afraid to let my personality shine through. On the other hand after reading Jianna's post I was able to relax a little bit about the thought of creating a video essay. Overall I really enjoyed reading how my classmates went about their blog posts. I have never done something like this before so it was interesting to see the different approaches that my classmates took.






4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the very organized and straight-to-the-point way you wrote this post. The bulleted information made this very easy to digest quickly just like a quick reference guide would. This said, I would enjoy to hear more personalized bits to help attach your blog to your personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that your article is well written and straightforward in its definition. I like how you managed to keep a coherent piece while at the same time using bullet points. Though I don't particularly think anything needs to be changed, I suppose that you could've written a bit more on the whole subject (though again, I don't really think that is necessary).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the previous commenters that the post was refreshing in its organized and thought-out simplicity that mirrored the genre you chose (whether that was intentional or not) and really showed how useful quick reference guides are. I also thought your reflection was well thought out as you clearly see the benefits of learning from your peers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the previous commenters that the post was refreshing in its organized and thought-out simplicity that mirrored the genre you chose (whether that was intentional or not) and really showed how useful quick reference guides are. I also thought your reflection was well thought out as you clearly see the benefits of learning from your peers.

    ReplyDelete