Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Rhetorical Analysis of Project 3

Project two has been signed, sealed, and delivered (or so the saying goes), but now it is time to move onto the next project, the public argument. Therefore, in this blog post I am going to examine the rhetorical situation of project three. 

-Author-

1. How will you draw on any or some of the following for Project 3?
Instead of pursing a public argument in Public Health or Pharmacy (major) I have instead decided to explore a topic of my own general research interest. In order to do so I turned to the Internet for help. 
After tirelessly perusing the abundance of controversial topics that are found on various Internet forums or online magazine articles, I stumbled upon a contemporary social issue that I have been following for sometime now. The issue/problem with breeding orcas at SeaWorld.  
This topic is the perfect blend of my own general research interest in combination with a current-day social issue that I am interested in.
2.  What are the preconceptions, previously held opinions and/or potential areas for
               personal bias that you should be aware of for Project 3?
The biggest area of personal bias would come from my family of origin and my geography/location. In relation to my topic (orcas), I have been raised in a family that are "animal huggers". My grandfather is a veterinarian and to a degree my upbringing has been centered around animals. Animals have been a huge part of my life since before I can even remember.  
However, on the other hand my geography/location also puts me at risk for personal bias because I am from California, which is coincidentally the location of the public argument. I have been to SeaWorld plenty of times growing up, and I have seen the Shamu show many times. I have also seen the documentary, Blackfish.
     These are just some potential areas of personal bias that I should be aware of throughout the production of my project. 

-Audience-

1. How are you thinking about your audience for this project? Who are you going to make this for? Describe them.
     In regards to my audience for this project, I am going to assume that they have a very general/vague understanding of the topic. Meaning that they have heard of the issue  and have been following the story to some degree due to the media, however, haven't really dived into the solution that has been crafted/concocted. 
     Therefore, the target audience for this project is anyone that is interested in animals/topic or anyone that has been loosely following this story.
2. What beliefs and assumptions might this audience already hold? What position are they likely to take on this issue? How will you respond to that position?
     My audience may already believe that the mistreatment that SeaWorld has inflicted on the captive orcas is unethical. This belief may cause my intended audience to take a position in favor of the solution, which is that orcas should be free altogether. Personally, I think that the ban on orca's breeding in captivity is a step in the right direction, however, the best option would be for the orcas to be free from show performances at SeaWorld. 
 3. How might they react to your argument?
      In my project, my audience will probably favor my argument. Since my intended audience are those that have followed the story or have some sort of opinion regarding the topic, their feelings towards my argument will probably coincide with my own. 
4. How are you going to relate to or connect with your audience? Are there any specific words, ideas or ways of arguing that will help you relate to them in this way?
       In order to better relate or connect with my audience I will implement the use of rhetorical strategies. Specifically, ethos, pathos, and logos or credibility, emotion, and logic. 
       I will use personal stories, reports, interviews, and expert opinions as a means/method of arguing my point. I will also place an emphasis on tone and word choice in an effort to strengthen my credibility and argument. In terms of language, I will use emotion-provoking words when speaking about the mistreatment of orcas, and will try to appeal to the shared values/beliefs. 
5. Think of one specific person or a set of people you know personally or professionally who fall within the definition of ‘target audience’ you’re using for Project 3.
My brother would be a person that I personally know who would fall within the definition of 'target audience'. He has been invested in the story since the production of Blackfish, and at one point wanted to drive down to San Diego to protest. He would be an example of a very passionate audience member, while on the other hand my roommate would be an example of a loose audience member. She has been following the story of-and-on for sometime now, but doesn't really know too much about current events.
In order to really convince my target audience that the solution proposed by the California Coastal Commission is only a temporary solution I will need to present the  alternative solution (overall freedom) as the moral/ethical choice. Emotion and human guilt are two extraordinary powerful tools of persuasion 

-Purpose/Message-

1. What do you want to accomplish with Project 3? What affect do you want it to have on your intended audience?
       I want there to be a sense of momentary security surrounding with the decision made by the California Coastal Commission on the ban of orcas breeding in captivity. However, my main goal is convince or have my audience consider that the best solution for the orcas would be for them to be free altogether. 

2. Now that you’ve done all your research and figured out what you think about the controversy you’ve chosen, what still needs to be accomplished? 
I think that the only major element that still needs to accomplished is to understand/explain SeaWorld's side of the story. In doing so I need to refute SeaWorld's defense regarding orca captivity. This is just a factor that needs to be pointed out in order for the audience to understand the purpose of the bill that was passed and even why it was created in the first place. 

-Context-

What genre?


  1. 1. What course genre will you be writing in for Project 3?
I will be creating a video essay for this project. I thought that a video essay would really convey the purpose/message of this project in a very organized, cohesive, and eloquent manner.
 2. What kinds of audience expectations come along with this genre, generally?
In this genre, the audience will expect a relatively short video, background music, images/clips, characters, an engaging story, and a lively tone.
3. What is your history working in the genre you have selected for Project 3?
My history with working with this genre includes a very brief period of time in my youth when my cousins and I would create random western or crime videos. However, I was mainly an actress or the star of the show. In other words my history with video essays is pretty lackluster or non-existent.  
4. Describe your comfort level and general feelings about the genre. How will they affect your work on Project 3?
I would confidently say that I am uncomfortable with this genre. However, that seems to be the case for every genre that I have used this semester. I will figure it out as I go. It may take me a little bit longer to finish Project 3, due to my lack of technology knowledge, but the important part is I will figure it out. (I have to I don't have any other choice)
5. What are the two most effective conventions in this genre, in your opinion? Why? Be specific.
In my opinion the two most effective conventions of this genre are images/clips and an engaging story. Without these two conventions the video essay doesn't have much bulk to it. Images/clips bring an active element to the Project, while an engaging story is essential to a persuasive argument. 

When?

1. Are there any historical events that might impact how your audience perceives your argument or the kind of background information or evidence you need to include?
The major background information regarding this topic would be the law that was passed by the state of California regarding breeding orcas. An explanation of the California Coastal Commission is also a key piece of information that will also need to be provided. 

2. Who else is talking about this topic? Provide us with working hyperlinks to coverage of the controversy on FOUR different media outlets.
This topic has been in-and-out of the news for quite awhile now, and it has been on a variety of different media outlets. For example,

3. What are the three or four major counter-arguments you’ll have to respond to, based upon what people are saying in the press/media?

(a) SeaWorld has kept the orcas in captivity in order to "save them" from extinction/harm in the ocean.

(b) Allowing for captivity gives researchers the opportunity to study orcas, and provide information regarding the species. 

(c) Although breeding is no longer allowed, the best solution would be for orcas to be free altogether. 

No comments:

Post a Comment