Thursday, February 18, 2016

Local Revision: Passive and Active Voice

I have further examined my verbs, but this time I categorized them into two categories: passive and active voice. 


Active Voice (General)
Active Voice (Specific)
Passive Voice
is
pop
has led
help
suffers
has made
advances
feeding
has upset
caused
collide
has forced
goes
sleeping
has been
create
wheeled
was declared
described
smelled
was completed
asked
scrubbed
was allowed
drafted
squeeze
was drafted
called
responsive
have conducted
believe
move
have argued
based
tests

pursued
scans

remains
concocted

indicates
posing

return
cough

reverse
breathing

findings
sat

gives
push

took
listened

Indigo, Alex "Microphone" 10-11-07 via Flickr
Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic
  1.  Looking at the breakdown of your verb choices here, what do you notice about your current draft? Are the actions in your piece mostly general, vague or non-specific? Are the actions mostly vivid and specific? Are there instances of passive voice? Summarize what you learned by analyzing your verb usage in this way.
The actions in my draft are both general and specific in active voice usage, with instances of passive voice. I found that a mixture of  different verb tenses/voices is important in any form of writing. I want to have active specific verbs so that I can vividly describe scenarios, but I also need general verbs so that I can effectively get my point across without too much wordiness.
2. Based on this analysis, how could your use of verbs be improved overall in the project? Be specific and precise in explaining this.
To improve the verbs in my draft I should used more descriptive verbs. The descriptive verbs that I do have are not the most exciting descriptive verbs out there. I should also go through my project and make sure that the active and passive verbs are spread evenly throughout the entire piece. I don't want chunks of active specific followed by chunks of active general. It should a mix.










No comments:

Post a Comment