Thursday, February 18, 2016

Local Revision: Tense Usage


To further explore the verbs that I used in my project I have separated the words into three columns: past, present, and future.


Past
Present
Future
has (13)
are
will (3)
made
advances
 -
caused (2)
pop
 -
was
suffers
 -
declared
feeding
 -
resulted
sustain
 -
started (2)
collide
 -
sat
create
 -
had
is (23)
 -
wheeled
undergoing
 -
smelled
sleeping (2)
 -
scrubbed
cough
 -
waited
push
 -
completed
believes (2)
 -
moved (2)
argues
 -
allowed
squeeze
listened
responsive
 -
deemed (2)
donate
 -
drafted
findings
 -
referenced (2)
deem
 -
complied
move
 -
examined
notifying
 -
believed
seeks
 -
asked
reverse
 -
described
return
 -
delayed
claims
 -
pronounced
beating
 -
called
breathing
 -
took
scans
 -
went
tests
 -
appointed
indicates
 -
issued
constitutes
 -
released
pull
 -
pursued
face
 -
based
place
 -
held
help (2)
 -
argued
save
 -
conducted
 -
 -
forced
 -
 -
brought forth
 -
 -
concocted
 -
 -

Lucarelli, Fosco "Past Present Future" 09-13-11 via Flickr
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic 
(1) In my draft I mainly switched back and forth between past and present tense. 

(2) The current usage of tense gives the piece a current or up-to-date modern tone. It helps the reader understand what is going on with that specific controversy at this specific time. In other words it gives the reader/audience context.

(3) In order to effectively explain the situation I have to go into detail about what happened in the past, and to do so I need to use past tense. However, I switch to present tense to describe the current situation, and I think that the switch from past to present flows fairly well. 

(4) I do implement present tense in my draft. I think that the present tense gives the audience information that is happening right now. The immediacy of present tense allows my story to get a sense of urgency. It gives the piece a time frame because the past and using past tense sometimes ages your work. 
 









No comments:

Post a Comment