Sunday, February 21, 2016

Local Revision: Variety

In this blog post I will explore the variety in my sentence structure/vocabulary in my controversy postmortem assignment. 

Variety: Sentences and Vocab

1. How much variation is there in your sentence structures in the current draft? Can you spot any repetitive or redundant sentence patterns in your writing? Provide a cogent analysis of what the Rules for Writers reading tells you about your sentences.

Alborzagos, "English Dictionaries and Thesaurus Books"
01-31-11 via Wikimedia Commons
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International
In my current draft I would say that there is a decent amount of sentence structure, however, I do have a tendency to be redundant in using "as well as" in my sentences. I tried to switch up between long and descriptive sentences to short concise sentences so that I would be able to keep my audience engaged throughout the entire piece. 

2. What about paragraph structures, including transitions between different paragraphs?

My paragraph structures followed the format of a traditional quick reference guide, meaning that they were relatively short and spaced apart. To transition between paragraphs I either switched topics/discussion points or created a new sub-section. 

3. What about vocabulary? Is there variety and flavor in your use of vocabulary? What are the main strengths and weaknesses of the draft's approach to vocabulary?

There is a variety and flavor in my use of vocabulary. I used vocabulary that presented my style or flavor so that my audience could get a sense of my personality. However, I had to cut back in order to follow the form or genre conventions of a QRG. I think the main strength would be the descriptive vocabulary. It really helps to paint a picture for the audience. In terms of weaknesses I would say that some of the terminology is advanced since my draft deals with a medical issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment